Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Self evaluation- Question 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

I think IPC Media would be an ideal distributor for NOISE, as it would only have NME to contend with. NME itself is a very vague magazine in terms of a genre. It doesn’t specialise in one or two, it’s focused on just popular music. The kind of music that the audience of NOISE wouldn’t necessarily listen to voluntarily. Therefore, I don’t think the sales of NME would affect the sales of NOISE.

                I definitely think that there is a gap in the market nowadays for magazines which focus on either grunge or indie music. I think IPC Media would agree with me, as there aren’t any British magazines, or indeed, global magazines, I can think of, or find upon research, that focus solely on grunge and indie.

 

                I think if I were to choose, for example, Bauer Media, I’d have a problem. I don’t think they’d be as enthusiastic. With Kerrang to contend with, I don’t think many people would see a potential for NOISE at Bauer. They would associate the genres together and see too much of a similarity for the two magazines to coexist. However, to the people who actually listen to the music, know the genres and bands, and differences between, would see a difference. Seeing as Kerrang rarely deals with grunge, yet the mainstream alternative genre, the grunge and indie genres are missing out on coverage, which could be achieved with another magazine. Like NOISE.

No comments:

Post a Comment