Codes and conventions are used in the media to allow people to relate to what they're seeing/reading/hearing. They are basically what relates the film/song/magazine article to its genre and are a widely accepted way of presenting examples of media. I used codes and conventions in my photo-shoots which I think relate to grunge music and would give people an idea of grunge. For example, my photos of Katie (Belle Hayward) are dark and show her to be holding a guitar- clearly relating to music. I think the darkness of both the backgrounds and her outfit insinuate a darker genre of music. I think codes and conventions are important, to allow people to know straight away, the genre of the magazine/film/song.
Semiotics are like codes, and link an example of media to a genre, but I believe they are more subliminal. For example, if you're watching a film and you see a couple kissing, you know it's a romance film.
No comments:
Post a Comment